Friday 2 October 2009

Sport?

You know Star Trek, not the flash new ones or the multi million dollar movies, the original one with the cardboard sets and a room full of people chucking themselves from side to side while the focus puller kicks the tripod. Remember the episode when they all think Spocks gone blind and then realise he's actually got a third eyelid that closes to shut out intense light. Well I've got one of them but it's aural not visual.
I listen to 5Live a lot as I love my sport, particularly Football, but every time someone says the word Cricket Slam! goes the aural filter and the rest just sounds like Charlie Browns teacher.

We won the ashes this year and I'm genuinely pleased for anyone that follows the sport but it gets no more reaction from me than if we'd won the world marbles championship.
Just take a step back for a minute and look at it objectively. Five test matches of five days each. Three and a half weeks of continuous cricket which could, and may have for all I remember be decided by whether it rains or not. This is England for crying out loud and we're not talking postponed or the conditions changing we are talking about the result being decided by the weather. Or apparently sometimes by two faceless names and a slide rule.
Not content with this as an encore we play another 7 full days. I can hear the Wisden obsessives gearing up with 'Well how long do the Olympics go one or the World Cup' possibly fair comment until you realise that for over a month of all day every day cricket we've been watching the same two countries. Last time I checked it's still going on apparently we're playing the same damned country in the later stages of another competition.

How is it that with all this activity and constant endeavour that half of them still look as though they're panicking over the pint they left on the bar going flat before they can get back to it.
Sorry I'm off to watch the world Llama wrestling championships I gather El Hadji Diouf stands a good chance as he spits better than the Llamas do.

No comments:

Post a Comment